Saturday, October 23, 2010

Welcome Post

After doing some poking around on the internet, I couldn't find a single, half decent blog written by queer identified woman (women) trying to create a family... I wanted some kind of validation that I wasn't going crazy, and I can't find it.

Sure, there are lots of blogs out there by future mommas, but so far, nadda on the homoparent.

Thus, the blog is born. I like blogging. I've been blogging since I was 18 years old. At 26, I have 8 years of spilling my feelings into the vastness of the internet.

I also like babies. I have wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember. I used to lie to my friends and random strangers that I had a baby sister at home. My younger brother did not appreciate such sentiment.

The purpose of this blog is to document the journey towards marriage, life, making a baby and parenting. I expect the blog to grow as our experience grows!

So, who are we?

Me: 26, Cancer. Work in a Neonatal ICU as an RN. Come from a middle-class family. I like to be outside, to work in the garden, to spend time with friends and drink excessive amounts of tea.

J: 29, Pisces. Chef, business student. Comes from a middle-class family. Likes to be outside, spend time with friends and family, children's books, purses and movies.

S (name changed!): Donor. Mid-late twenties, extremely tall. Free spirit and wanderer, warm and caring. He is the manager for the local chain of an international corporation.

We have 2 cats, Tasi and Mustang.

We are trying to create a family using a known donor, a longtime friend of mine. For many years we have joked about it. It got serious over a facebook post, and when he was down on a visit, we had lunch and discussed it seriously. I adore him, he is such a wonderful person, warm, caring and interested. I will go into further of why we want a known donor versus identity release or anonymous sperm in a later post.

The rest of our family includes both sets of parents, a sibling, and dear friends (who will be Aunties and Uncles). Everything is a choice, including our family. The people who remain in it, biological or otherwise, are chosen. We have surrounded ourselves with people who love us, support us and are impatiently awaiting our first child. Our hope by doing this, is to build a network of support and love, because I truly believe it takes a village to raise a child.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Allison,

    Good luck as you start expanding your family!! Have you seen the finding chaos blog? It's written by one woman with occasional posts from her partner - they have three kids - a son and then boy-girl twins who are something like four or five months younger. They're all close to three now I think.

    http://findingchaos.com

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new Blog guys! I am going to love following along! Good on you for putting this out to the universe, you can't be the only two going through this but maybe your the only one brave/silly/dedicated enough to put it all out there!

    T

    ReplyDelete